Blog

Program Expansion

According to the US Census, the population of older Americans will more than double by 2050. The research published in the 2021 Profile of Older Americans indicates that number of persons 65 and older in the State of Oklahoma rose by 28% between 2010 and 2020, with almost 11% of those individuals living below the poverty line. Additionally, 16% of Oklahoma’s seniors are threatened by hunger, and 9% are food insecure. In Edmond, Oklahoma 15% of the population is currently 65 and older. There is no current infrastructure in place to handle the multitude of services needed for older Americans to remain healthy and living independently.

Edmond Mobile Meals’ entire focus is caring for individuals in our community whose diminished mobility and resources make them unable to prepare at least one meal for themselves daily. By delivering a meal, a friendly visit, and a safety check regardless of income, Edmond Mobile Meals helps combat three of aging’s most harmful threats: inadequate nutrition, isolation, and declining quality of life. 

Increasing demand for our service continues to be the biggest challenge we face. To meet the current and future demand for our service in the coming years Edmond Mobile Meals in collaboration with the City of Edmond is undergoing a comprehensive program expansion. The goal of the project is to triple the capacity of our home delivered meal program so that we can triple the number of home-delivered meals we prepare and serve each weekday. Additionally, we will provide up to 100 meals each weekday for the Edmond Senior Center’s congregate meal program.  Construction will begin at 25 W. 3rd Street in mid to late November with an estimated completion of late summer 2024. Edmond Mobile Meals will continue normal operations from a temporary location at the Edmond Senior Center effective Monday, November 6.

The City of Edmond has committed to funding 75% of the program expansion costs to renovate and expand our infrastructure this year to allow us to meet the nutritional needs of seniors in our community for decades to come.  Edmond Mobile Meals will fund the remaining 25% of construction costs plus 100% of the equipment costs.

Edmond Mobile Meals is committed to providing nourishing meals to any senior in Edmond in need immediately upon enrollment without implementing a waiting list. We have been limited in the number of meals we can provide each day by the capacity in our kitchen. Once the kitchen expansion is complete, we will be positioned to serve Edmond’s most vulnerable residents for decades to come.

Questions regarding the Edmond Mobile Meals program expansion can be directed to Executive Director, Cristi Twenter at 405-341-3111.

X