On weekdays, meal delivery volunteers use their own cars and gas to bring hot meals to homebound individuals in the community. Delivery generally takes about 2 hours. Volunteers can deliver as often as their schedules allow. Corporate and group routes are also available. Current, valid driver’s license and auto insurance are required to deliver meals for Edmond Mobile Meals. Volunteer drivers must be 18 years old to deliver meals on their own. Children and teens under 18 are always welcome to ride along with an adult.
When you arrive at Edmond Mobile Meals:
- Arrive between 10:30-11:00 am and park on the West side of the building. We do not want meals sent out before 10:30 am because meal recipients often are not ready to eat if it is before 10:45am. Food safety is our top priority so we cannot let recipients leave their meals at room temperature.
- Read over your route sheet for changes or special instructions. Do not assume that the same people are on your route each time you deliver.
- Get your milk, bread, salad and/or desserts together (the “cold items”) and pack them in an insulated cooler or meal bag with ice packs (ice packs are located in the small cooler to the left of the milk refrigerator) while you wait for your meals to be brought to you.
- Place your hot meals inside a separate insulated bag or container from the cold items. (For food safety and the meal recipients’ protection, hot meals must be separate from cold food items.)
- Enjoy delivering the meals!
Remember that you have the clients’ trust. Please respect the confidentiality of all the information communicated to you. Protect the dignity of the individuals receiving the meals by not discussing their living situations, health conditions, financial status or anything you learn about them with anyone other than an Edmond Mobile Meals staff member.
You are our eyes and ears. When you arrive to deliver a meal, you become a source of more than food for many clients. You are a concerned person who checks on the homebound person’s well-being and may be the only person to do this all day.
Sign Up Today
To volunteer with Edmond Mobile Meals as a group, please download and complete these 3 forms. Each group member must complete their own forms:
Edmond Mobile Meals offers volunteer opportunities to Edmond’s businesses and community groups that wish to participate in a volunteer project. We have many organizations who drive or work in the kitchen once a month and send different employees each time to help coordinate our efforts.
These local organizations volunteer regularly with Edmond Mobile Meals:
Innovative Healthcare Solutions, Fusion Integration, Summit Rotary, Edmond Economic Development Association, First Presbyterian Church, Acts2 United Methodist Church, St. Augustine of Canterbury Episcopal Church, University of Central Oklahoma, St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, Red Valley Landscape & Construction, Edmond Fire Department, Edmond Women’s Club, Wallace Family Dentistry and Simmons Bank are among the corporate and community groups volunteering their time.